Classical splendor : painted furniture for a grand Philadelphia house
"This handsome book explores in depth a group of stunning painted and gilded furniture designed by the architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764-1820), best known for originating the plans for the United States Capitol. The furniture was made in Philadelphia for one of the city's finest house...
Philadelphia Museum of Art : in association with Yale University Press,
|Subjects and Genres:|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Place, Time, and Architecture: Materialized Memory and the Moment of Latrobe's Waln House / Jeffrey A. Cohen
- Social Theater: Latrobe and the Walns Set the Stage
- Executing the Design: Cabinetmaker John Aitken, Decorator George Bridport, and Upholsterer John Rea
- The Vanguard of Classical Splendor: Impact and Epilogue
- Catalogue of Furniture for the House of William and Mary Wilcocks Waln: In the Collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Checklist of the Exhibition
- Appendixes: The Insurance Surveys of 1824 and 1845; Inventory of the Personal Estate of George Bridport
- Selected Bibliography
- Index of Architects, Designers, Makers, and Artists.