Buying into the world of goods : early consumers in backcountry Virginia
Johns Hopkins University Press,
|Series:||Studies in early American economy and society from the Library Company of Philadelphia.
|Subjects and Genres:|
|Online Access:||Table of contents only|
Contributor biographical information
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- In backcountry time
- The business of revolutions: John Hook and the Atlantic world : William Meade's Scottish clock
- Getting the goods: local acquisition in a tobacco economy : the iron plate
- Accounting for life: objects, names, and numbers : the ledger
- Living the backcountry: styles and standards : the Wade cabin in backcountry time
- Setting the stage, playing the part: stores as consumption spaces : ribbons of desire
- Suckey's looking glass: African Americans as consumers : mirrors and meanings
- Country gentleman in a new country: John Hook's beef.