Party over section : the rough and ready presidential election of 1848
Lawrence, Kan. :
University Press of Kansas,
|Series:||American presidential elections.
|Subjects and Genres:|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Troubled political times
- "A northern no!"
- "The sore-headed leaders in the state of New York" - and some others - nominate a president
- "The work to be done": the parties organize
- "There never was an election of greater importance": the parties define what is at stake
- "The presence of every man is necessary": Zachary Taylor is elected
- "A conspicuous milestone in the antislavery tourney" - or not
- App. A. Democratic national platform, 1848
- App. B. Whig Party statement of principles passed at a mass meeting after the national convention
- App. C. Free Soil national platform, 1848
- App. D. Zachary Taylor's inaugural address, March 5, 1849.