The Ludwick Institute papers, HSP collection 1783 : [finding aid]

The Ludwick Institute, organized in 1799 as the Philadelphia Society for the Free Instruction of Indigent Boys was chartered in 1801 as the Philadelphia Society for the Establishment and Support of Charity Schools, and was the first free educational plan in Philadelphia, Pa. Girls were admitted in 1...

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Corporate Author: Historical Society of Pennsylvania
Contributors: Hocker, Edward W., 1873-
Format: Book
Language:English
Published: [197-?]
Subjects and Genres:
Tags: Add Tag
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Summary: The Ludwick Institute, organized in 1799 as the Philadelphia Society for the Free Instruction of Indigent Boys was chartered in 1801 as the Philadelphia Society for the Establishment and Support of Charity Schools, and was the first free educational plan in Philadelphia, Pa. Girls were admitted in 1811. In 1872 it became the Ludwick Institute, named after its chief benefactor, Christopher Ludwick. Around 1890 it stopped holding classes but sponsored free lectures at the Academy of Natural Sciences. The records include: enrollment books, 1801-1858; various minutes, 1832-1951; miscellaneous correspondence, 1899-1950; miscellaneous financial records, 1859-1918, and 2 typescript biographies of Christopher Ludwick, 1 by Edward W. Hocker and 1 anonymous.
Item Description: A finding aid to Historical Society of Pennsylvania manuscript collection no. 1783--Ludwick Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.). Records, 1801-1950. (300 items and 6 v.).
Typescript (photocopy).
Physical Description: 2 leaves ; 28 cm.