Third Children's Hospital of Philadelphia photograph, undated

Exterior view of construction made on Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).  The building was located on 18th Street between Bainbridge and Fitzwater Streets and was the third Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia built since the establishment of CHOP.  Founded by Dr. Franc...

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Collection:Philadelphia Record photograph morgue (#V07)
Location:18th Street Between Bainbridge and Fitzwater Streets Philadelphia, PA USA 19146
Folder Number:Folder FF 28.2791
Format: Electronic
Subjects and Genres:
Copyright:Please contact Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rights and Reproductions (rnr@hsp.org)
Online Access:https://digitallibrary.hsp.org/index.php/Detail/objects/1978
Tags: Add Tag
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
id dc-1978
recordtype Dc
hierarchy_top_id rs-4
hierarchy_top_title Digital Records
is_hierarchy_id 0
is_hierarchy_title 0
database_name_str_mv Digital Records
format Electronic
title Third Children's Hospital of Philadelphia photograph, undated
spellingShingle Third Children's Hospital of Philadelphia photograph, undated
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
title_sort Third Children's Hospital of Philadelphia photograph, undated
title_txt_mv Third Children's Hospital of Philadelphia photograph, undated
genre Photographs
description Exterior view of construction made on Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).  The building was located on 18th Street between Bainbridge and Fitzwater Streets and was the third Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia built since the establishment of CHOP.  Founded by Dr. Francis West Lewis, Dr. T Hewson Bache, and Dr. R.A.F. Penrose in 1855, CHOP was the first hospital in the United States devoted entirely for the healthcare of children.  Construction on the third hospital commenced in 1913 and the first unit opened by 1916.  During the residence of the hospital in the building located on 18th Street, the hospital became affiliated with University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Philadelphia Child Guidance Clinic, operated the first closed incubator for newborns, and established the first neonatal intensive care unit in the United States.  The hospital closed the doors to the 18th Street building in 1974 when it opened a new hospital on Civic Center Boulevard, which remains the current location of CHOP.
raw_location_txt_mv 18th Street Between Bainbridge and Fitzwater Streets Philadelphia, PA USA 19146
subject_txt_mv LCSH: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
topic Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
copyright_txt_mv Unknown
rights_statement_txt_mv Unknown
collection Philadelphia Record photograph morgue
collection_number_str_mv V07
folder_number_str Folder FF 28.2791
page_str Page Photo 15
url https://digitallibrary.hsp.org/index.php/Detail/objects/1978
_version_ 1628355617229897728
score 12.945122