The Pennsylvania Sugar Refinery Company dock-view photograph, circa 1883-1896
"The Pennsylvania Refining Company had been organized in 1883 as a molasses refinery for extracting raw sugar content from Cuban molasses, which was very rich in sugar content at that time. Molasses was brought in by the hogshead on ship and placed on the wharf, later to be placed in the storag...
|Collection:||Historical Society of Pennsylvania photograph collection (#V59)|
|Alternate Date:||Circa 1883-1896|
|Dimensions:||25 x 19.8 cm|
|Location:||Delaware Avenue and Shackamaxon Street Philadelphia, PA|
|Box Number:||Box 115|
|Folder Number:||Folder 5|
|Subjects and Genres:|
|Copyright:||Please contact Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rights and Reproductions (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
"The Pennsylvania Refining Company had been organized in 1883 as a molasses refinery for extracting raw sugar content from Cuban molasses, which was very rich in sugar content at that time. Molasses was brought in by the hogshead on ship and placed on the wharf, later to be placed in the storage sheds."
It was during this time period when the Pennsylvania Sugar Refinery Company was founded and took over John Hilgert's operation (the Girard Sugar Company near 5th Street and Girard Avenue), that the Sugar Trust came into existence.
This photograph is the backend view of the Pennsylvania Sugar company refinery from the Delaware river. This operation was located at the intersection of Delaware Avenue and Shackamaxon Street and contained rights to piers 46 to 48.
In the twentieth century, this industrial site in Fishtown was known as the sugarhouse complex. Eventually the old buildings of the sugarhouse were slated to be demolished and in late June of 1997, they were imploded. However, the attempt failed. After 8 tries and 125 pounds of explosives, the building remained standing for 13 hours before collapsing without warning.
In 2009, construction began on the SugarHouse casino which is now located ontop of the old sugarhouse complex.
This online record contains two images of one item from folder 5.